Facebook has released a list of the news stories that users shared most during 2011. Amazingly, the top story was shared more than 600,000 times.
Here's a rundown of the Top 10:
10. New Zodiac Sign Dates: Ophiuchus The 13th Sign? (The Huffington Post)
9. Giant crocodile captured alive in Philippines (Yahoo)
8. Dog in Japan stays by the side of ailing friend in the rubble (Yahoo)
7. You'll freak when you see the new Facebook (CNN)
6. At funeral, dog mourns the death of Navy SEAL killed in Afghanistan (Yahoo)
5. Father Daughter Dance Medley (video) (Yahoo)
4. Parents, don't dress your girls like tramps (CNN)
3. No, your zodiac sign hasn't changed (CNN)
2. What teachers really want to tell parents (CNN)
1. Satellite Photos of Japan, Before and After the Quake and Tsunami (New York Times)
YEAR END: Fastest Rising Google Searches Of 2011
A bunch of stuff captured your interest and imagination in 2011 -- and you probably Googled a bunch of these topics.
Guess what. You weren't alone.
A lot of stuff got a lot of people excited enough to search for it.
Here's a rundown of the nine fastest-rising Google searches of 2011:
9. Steve Jobs
8. TEPCO (aka Tokyo's Fukushima I Plant)
6. iPhone 5
5. Battlefield 3
4. Casey Anthony
3. Ryan Dunn
1. Rebecca Black
BIGGEST CELEB BREAKUPS of 2011
Here are YourTango's picks for Top 10 worst celeb breakups/divorces of 2011:
10. Blake Lively and Leonardo DiCaprio
9. Hugh Hefner and Crystal Harris
8. Minka Kelly and Derek Jeter
7. George Clooney and Elisabetta Canalis
6. Zooey Deschanel and Ben Gibbard
5. Kat Von D and Jesse James
4. Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries
3. Jennifer Lopez and Marc Anthony
2. Arnold Schwarzenegger and Maria Shriver
1. Ashton Kutcher and Demi Moore
Just Asking ... Which celeb breakup/divorce do you think was the worst? Which surprised you most? Do you think any will get back together?
10 MOST OVER-EXPOSED CELEBRITIES OF 2011
According to CollegeCandy.com, these are the 10 most over-exposed clebrities of 2011. Do you agree?
- The Kardashians
- Miley Cyrus
- Charlie Sheen
- Taylor Swift
- Jennifer Lopez
- Lindsey Lohan
- The Royal Family
- Casey Anthony
- Justin Bieber
- Lady Gaga
BEST DRESSED WOMEN OF 2011
Here is Glamour's list of The 5 Best Dressed Women of 2011:
- Kate Middleton
- Kerry Washington
- Jenna Lyons (President and Executive Creative Director of J. Crew)
- Emma Stone
- Iris Apfel (90-year-old fashion icon)
KEEPING YOUR RESOLUTIONS
It's that time of year again -- time when we make those New Year's resolutions and vow that THIS is the year that we are going to keep them! But the fact is that very few of us keep our resolutions. In fact, studies show that a whopping 85% of people don't keep their resolutions for very long.
Want to beat the odds this year? First off you'll have a higher success rate if you pick just one resolution. And second, you need to start over again if you cheat. Too many people just throw in the towel once they slip.
BEST OF 2011: BEST SUBVERSIVE TV SHOWS OF THE YEAR
Sure, you could spend your time in front of the television watching financial news and insightful documentaries.
But why would you do such a thing when there are awesome TV shows out there -- shows that really push the limits of good taste?
TV is a place to go to get away. So, get away with some of these subversive gems:
- Jersey Shore -- It's worth watching the cast of this show just to make you feel better about yourself.
- Breaking Bad -- What's not to like about a show that focuses on meth trafficking in the New Mexico desert?
- Modern Family -- Remember how wholesome The Cosby Show and Family Ties were back in the 1980s? This show is nothing like that.
- The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills -- The women on this show are better at being mean to each other than anyone else on TV.
HAVE THE PERFECT NEW YEAR'S KISS
Plan on smooching your special someone this New Year's Eve? Follow these pointers for the perfect pucker:
- Choose a Smooth, Sweet Smelling Lip Gloss:Leave the sticky stuff for another night!
- Smile as you lean in for the kiss: Your smile lets him know how OK you are with the kiss and that there is no one else you would rather be smooching.
- Keep your eyes closed for a second after pulling away from the kiss: This lets him know you are savoring the kiss -- and that is an awesome ego boost for anyone! (Glamour)
WORLD'S MOST EXPENSIVE NEW YEAR'S EVE SUITES
Do you ever wonder how the ridiculously rich ring in the New Year? They most likely stay at a super swanky hotel with a price tag that most of us couldn't even fathom. The folks at Kayak.com put together a list of the world's most expensive New Year's Eve Hotel Suites ... a girl can dream, right?!
- The Bridge Suite, Atlantis, Bahamas -- $25,000/night
- The Penthouse Suite, Regent Beverly Wilshire, L.A. -- $25,000/night (This is the hotel from Pretty Woman)
- The Ty Warner Suite, Four Seasons, NYC -- $35,000/night
- The Hugh Hefner Sky Villa, The Palms, Las Vegas -- $40,000/night (AOL)
And for everyone else ...
CHEAP DATE IDEAS FOR NYE
Tightening the purse strings after blowing your holiday budget? Have no fear! It is possible to have an awesome New Year's Eve with your special someone without going into any more debt. Here are some fun, cheap date ideas:
- Invite a few couples over for drinks and a potluck dinner: This is way cheaper than a fancy overpriced dinner and probably more fun!
- Order take-out and have a movie marathon: This is great if you and your guy want to quietly, but romantically ring in the New Year -- just the two of you.
- Have dinner at the local diner or burger joint: If you really want to go out, but don't want to splurge, head to your favorite local dive or diner for burgers and milkshakes.
- Have a game night: Make it even more fun with cocktails!
NYE: THE NIGHT YOU'RE MOST LIKELY TO HAVE A ONE-NIGHT STAND
According to a survey, 33% of women admitted they were more likely to have a one-night stand on New Year's Eve than any other night of the year! Not only that, but another 29% of respondents said they'd hooked up with a co-worker at a holiday party. And 57% said they'd snuck off for a quickie during a holiday gathering. (LemonDrop.com)